However sooner or later you're going to have to get back to university work, so here is some advice and hints that I hope help, the following advice will be especially helpful for dissertations but it could be useful more generally as well:
- anyone undertaking analysis of data obtained using quantitative research methods, in either an assignment, small research project or in your dissertation start as soon as you can, I have just spent two days sorting data and putting it into excel (heaven knows how long it would have taken using SPSS) .
- Get a hold of a selection of two or three books that have an invaluable use generally. Whether it be for research methods, politics, sociology or something else.
- Here are two really useful books to get hold of, especially for qualitative research, but also in thinking about theory and concepts:
- Mills, C. W. (1959) The Sociological Imagination
- Anyone intending to analyse interviews or something similar may benefit from using thematic analysis, it's a really useful research method when analysing data but you rarely hear much about it in research methods modules or books.
Also for anyone interested Bon Jovi shall be playing at Aston Villa on the 9th of June 2013 and I think tickets are still available. Just check around for ticket prices, some are reasonable whilst other prices well lets just say they're okay if you have deep pockets.